Welcome to spend a husky holiday to an authentic small place by river in very east of Finland, 120km from Joensuu and 15km from Russian border. The meaning of this place is to offer real and relaxing husky holiday in small groups.
Enjoy a wintry week with huskies, ride long safaris, stay in comfortable wilderness cabin with small group and professional guiding.
Within the week you will learn a lot about living with huskies and what musher life is all about. On the farm, there are over 100 huskies who live with the staff. This place is all about huskies and pristine nature!
5 days as a musher with your own husky team in small group (max 6 persons/group), distances between 15 and 45 km per day, depending on the season, temperatures and weather conditions as this tour is done according dogs and guests wellbeing! In North-Karelia, there is almost no snowmobile traffic and no crowd at all! Lots of time with huskies and free time to explore the beautiful nature around you, with skis, snowshoes or simply by walking.
The Bears trail week tour is suitable for beginners and recommended to those who want to combine comfort and adventure. You’ll stay the nights at Eräkeskus guest house, in private rooms with own toilets as well as in wilderness cabins which are located lonely in the middle of wilderness. The wilderness cabins cannot be reached by car, they have solar lights and gas stove, water comes from wells or is extracted from the snow. In the wilderness cabins, there are saunas for bathing, living room heated with wood and beds with mattress, pillows, blankets and warm sleeping bags. Occasionally cabins with running water and electricity are used if needed. A professiona guide is in your service all the time to make sure you are feeling comfortable.
Participants from 11 to 75 years have so far successfully completed the tour. A normal, good physical condition is needed. As the place and groups are small, the guests needs can be well fulfilled! Welcome to enjoy the wilderness with huskies!
AVAILABLE: 14.12.2019 - 12.4.2020
Arrivals on Saturday or Sunday to Joensuu.
- Arrival to Joensuu Airport
- Guided transfer to Eräkeskus (135 km)
- Dinner, meet your guide and overnight in guesthouse (rooms with private shower/toilet)
- After breakfast you get your equipment and introduction to sleddog-kennel.
- Guide explains you the different breeds and have about 1 hour of theory and instructions how to drive a sled, how to brake, when to help the dogs, etc.
- After that, you help harnessing the dogs and get ready for the first easy tour through the forests and on the lakes around Eräkeskus, about 15km
- A hot soup is served after returning back to Eräkeskus in their restaurant.
- Evening-Sauna, dinner and overnight at Eräkeskus guesthouse.
- You are already familiar with our dogs, harnessing goes faster than last day. You know how to handle the team and how to react when a problem comes up during the tour.
- A sled-tour of about 20 km through the North-Karelian forests towards the Russian border, cross frozen lakes, rivers and swamps.
- Hot lunch after returning back home to Eräkeskus.
- Evening-sauna, dinner and overnight at Eräkeskus guesthouse
- Pack the sleds with personal things and get the dogs ready for a 3-day-tour which is held in the area of the famous Bear’s-Trail “Karhunpolku”, near the Russian Border, and leads through the most beautiful areas in North-Karelia.
- The daily distances may vary between 20 and 45 km, depending on weather and snow-conditions. Overnights in typical wilderness cabins, which have own wood-sauna, but normally no running water and no electricity. You are welcome to help feeding the dogs, getting water from the well, heating the sauna, cooking (gas or wood), etc.
Day 5 – 6
- Second & third day on tour, one more overnight in a wilderness cabin then heading back to Eräkeskus where you stay the last night.
- Evening-Sauna, dinner and overnight.
- Day for own activities. You find snowshoes and/or cross country-skis for free use. Explore the area on your own or just sit in front of the fire-place in our restaurant, enjoy a resting day, read a book and remember the last days full of experiences! If you arrive on Saturday, your day off is normally Sunday. If you arrive on Sunday, your day off is normally Saturday.
- You can also pre-book a guided scooter-trip or a professional massage/physiotherapy.
- Evening-Sauna, dinner and overnight.
- Breakfast-Buffet and transfer to Joensuu Airport according to your flight-schedule